AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Honda pioneer
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

BigNorsk
Posted 7/27/2014 17:39 (#3988597 - in reply to #3988511)
Subject: RE: Honda pioneer

Rolla, ND
I was going to buy the Yamaha since I had very good luck with previous Yamahas, then I test drove it. Vibration and noise wasn't for me. I'm very sensitive to vibration in my hands, causes me real problems so that's back to what is personal. I doubt it would really bother most people, but I really enjoy how smooth and quiet the Honda is, haven't had peace and quiet since the Kawasaki mule years ago.

No question, the Yamaha has lots more legroom. Probably 3 or 4 inches more between the dash and the seat. What I do with the Honda is instead of trying to swing out like one usually would, I just leave my feet where they are, reach up and grab the roll bar and go out backwards kind of the opposite of getting in.

I really like getting rid of the belt drive.

One thing is the Honda does not have a rear differential, if you are driving on grass you will cut.

Yamaha is easier to change oil.

The Honda slides through very well without a lot of catching on anything. Skid is plastic so I suppose if you jump canyons and land on trees it wouldn't like that, but no problems so far.

I had to take the warnings off the dash, it's like a license plate with reflective paint and at 2 in the afternoon the reflection would just blind me. Drilled out rivets and peeled it off.

Didn't get power steering, frankly if you aren't adding something like a front blade, or needing to turn while the machine is sitting still all the time I have no idea why you'd need it, it steers very easy. I think there is a $500 add on power steering if you were doing a snow plow.

I don't like the gas on the passenger side because every pickup I have has it on the driver side. Can't pull up to the pumps and easily fill both. Every UTV I can think of has it on the passenger side, I don't know why.

The box looks nice and there are some tie downs there but if you really need to have more than a box to throw things in, I would say it would be a bit disappointing. I don't so it works for me, use a strap to hold the gas can upright so it won't tip.

Don't know exactly, gas tank lasts something over 100 miles. I'd guess around 125 to 135 when checking crops and putting in fields. They say there is a reserve but what that means as far as I can tell is the gas flashes at you when you are down to the last gallon or so.

Gauge is handy always shows forward, neutral and reverse and speed. Also gas, hours, odometer, trip odometer, hours and miles to next service, temperature. Can't think of others, but it only shows one of those at a time. Push a button to change.

I wouldn't mind a tilt wheel, largely because at 6' 3" the wheel is just right I have to make a bit of effort to see gauge.

I didn't think I'd like the doors but I actually do.

It's scary what it drives through without even trying. Only time I used the winch this year was a place to hook to to pull out my pickup.

Hard to quantify but it is fun to drive.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)