AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Need a really good corn expert in the west WI East MN area. Know anyone?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

jolinggrains
Posted 7/28/2014 10:03 (#3989870 - in reply to #3987834)
Subject: RE: there are many possibilities here

central WI
From this picture my first reaction would be that you need to improve drainage on your land. I say this because I don't believe that the planter plays a part in the problem. Fertilizer plays a small role in the problem, but is not the root cause. Your yellow areas are where too much saturation/water sat and did not allow the proper root development and germination. Also, due to the excess saturation/water, you likely lost key nitrogen and fertilizer(s) that the corn needs. If you put urea on two weeks ago you should still see the yellow shifting to more green. While this will help, it is only going to mask the problem....those areas need better drainage.

It looks like you have some hills, but mostly gradual terrain. Do you have drainage ditches/waterways? I would highly recommend looking into the possibility of drain tile. I think the best thing you could do is reduce the saturation of your soil on that land. That will not only dry out the land, but help retain fertilizer(s) and give you better root development. Those are two key ingredients to growing a successful crop! Consider this, you probably already have about $300 per acre invested into drain tile this year alone and you don't even have it!

If you would like more information, Hank, my email is good.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)