AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

options if no DSL
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Beef State Ben
Posted 7/15/2014 18:58 (#3969853 - in reply to #3969752)
Subject: RE: Wireless & Satellite

NW of Lincoln, NE
Wireless service providers are great if you have that option. I had that at my previous place and it was quite good and improved over the years.

Now I'm just out of line of sight of several wireless antennas. I'm forced to get my internet through dial-up, satellite, or Verizon, etc.

Dial-up is terrible and not an option.

I had satellite years ago. It is also terrible. The speeds are better than dial-up but still pretty pathetic, but the latency is awful. Further, when I had it, I never had a reliable connection. I often had to try to load a web page three times before it would connect. It was also expensive and you had to have a satellite stuck in your yard or on your house that was even bigger than the television ones.

Verizon is quick and fairly hassle-free if you live in an area with good coverage, but you have to pay for usage by gigabyte, essentially, and it racks up fast. Streaming video or audio will plow through data and, at about $10/2 gigs, you'll start paying for it. Any paid services online (like Netflix, for example) will have you paying twice, essentially. Once for the service, a second time for the data.

If you are lucky enough to live somewhere with a service provider that has an unlimited plan, that's your best option. You'll pull good speed and not have those data caps. Unfortunately, other such providers don't have good coverage outside of towns and cities.

I'm praying for some new system to come around. Right now I'm stuck with Verizon and can't stand having to watch the data carefully then pay out the nose at the end of the month.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)