AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

28% uan storage
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

BOGTROTTER
Posted 11/22/2013 10:29 (#3461241 - in reply to #3459136)
Subject: Re: 28% uan storage

Kingston,Mi
The difference between a hairline crack (all concrete cracks) and a gap is the key, since the very tight , minor hair line crack will not allow very much product to attempt leave the site. For liquid fertilizer, no further treatment or remedy is suggested as long as the cracks are minor and hair line. For liquid pesticides, initially we used epoxy paints that were resistant to aging, mechanical damage and most important, chemical attack. Recently, our design engineers have used additional fly ash to increase surface durability and have dis-continued the suggested use of epoxy paints. I'll admit that all of my concrete has minor, hairline cracks but none have cracks large enough to cause any regulatory concern.

We use the term essentially water tight as a crafty lawyer will be able to catch you in the question "are you absolutely sure that no liquid, vapor or other state of matter has ever attempted an escape". It's not rocket science, just a reasonable attempt at preventing a disaster.

All of our plan packages include operation and maintenance plans with items that need to be performed on a schedule. In 15 to 20 years of use by farmers in Michigan , to my knowledge there has never been a loss of either type of product out side of the secondary containment site and only a few times within the containments (primarily holes developing in old, repurposed fuel tanks or thru the failure to follow the operation plans and be on site during transfer activities and locking the valves closed when not at the site).

Edited by BOGTROTTER 11/22/2013 10:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)