AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old Cow Milking
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

caseihfarmer
Posted 1/23/2008 20:00 (#291092)
Subject: Old Cow Milking

East Central, Nebraska
I have some old cows that got bred way too early (obviously because the bull was in there when he wasn't supposed to) so they are now calving. Here I am on about the 3rd cow to have her calf and it just doesn't seem like the milk bag is all that big. Yesterday the calf was born and i gave it colosterum because the cow really didn't have time to take care of it the way she wanted because it was -4 degrees and all. So i fed it once then cleaned it up and put it back with the cow all day. They were predicting a wind storm last night so i took the calf of and put her in the barn overnight and let the calf back out in the morning and it started sucking right away but the bag has never seemed all that big. I really wasn't expecting calves for at least a month and hoping for two.

The big thing here might be my bad management because of the bull getting in too early but could also be that these cows last calves weren't taken off until about 45 days ago. Could that be my problem or are these cows just dry. Do they go dry eventually? I guess I have never had this problem. I know they are all spread out on calving. Is it going to get any better?
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)