AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

pork producers
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Dave Cen.Ia
Posted 1/13/2008 12:40 (#282133 - in reply to #282111)
Subject: RE: while we're on the subject,

Nevada, Iowa
It's mostly genetics, there are some ways to alter lean with diet and additives but I am guessing 90% is genetic selection. It has swung way far to the opposite of where we really needed to be. Packers kept telling us the consumer wants lean but they didn't seem to know he wanted taste too. I went to a local Farmland producer meeting in Dec. and not to my surprise they were talking up getting the lean down a bit. Dang it, if Grandma didn't know what she was talking about when she said fat adds some flavor. My question now is, all of these g and y pay scales are geared for ultra lean hogs, are they (packers) going to change these scales so we don't get penalized for giving them what they want this time. I have a feeling it'll be a lot like the "end the check off vote", we won't hear much about it and we'll get the poopy end of the shovel, again.

Edit: To Little Joe, I agree about the taste. Awful as it is to say, when we grill it's beef, chicken, even fish before pork. A pork chop used to be a delicacy around here, now they are tasteless.

Edited by Dave Cen.Ia 1/13/2008 12:46
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)