AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Harvestore silo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 3/19/2013 16:05 (#2976305 - in reply to #2976075)
Subject: Re: New Harvestore silo

northeastern Ohio

roo - 3/19/2013 13:29 Thanks for the info Jay. Looks like if I use your prices the build price would be around $35,000 less concrete. That is much more resaonable than the price they are quoting me. My thought was to unload the silo into a commodity shed and use the payloader to fill the feed wagon. Could run the unloader slow on a timer so as to lessen wear and mechanical trouble. Just finding it very difficult to get any information on them, other than the bashers and flamers. Thanks again.

I think the prices are close, but I can't guarantee.  The only price that I really question is the bolts (I may be way low on those).  I found a build quote from my "Authorized Harverstore" dealer  from 1999:  used 25x90 with new roof, bolts, build kit, new gooseneck/pipe, and a completely rebuilt unloader for total installed price of $65k (only thing I needed to supply was concrete).  Or a used 20x90 with the same as the other for $55k.

If you are serious about this, then here are a couple hints to help you pick the right silo:  

The most common size is 20'.  Stay away from the 25'.  17' is ok, but parts like the roof and backbone are harder to find (special order). 

They made a light duty and a heavy duty structure.  You can tell the difference by looking at the vertical stiffeners at the bottom.  HD stiffeners are about 10' where the light duty are 4'.  The heavy duty sheets have twice as many bolt holes as the light duty sheets.  The heavy sheets are also much thicker.  This is important if you ever decide to put high moisture corn as there can be more stress due to uneven unloading.

The blue roofs are older but were superior to the whites.  They used cheaper/thinner steel in the white roof and quality control resulted in more glass issues.  They also put the white roof on the outside of the top ring, which resulted in condensation of acid accumulating on top of the top ring (rusting both the ring and the roof).  The newest white roofs (1990's to present) are white on top and blue underneath and they went back to putting them on the inside of the ring.  

Check for bullet holes.  Check for damage to bottom sheets from cutter chains digging into them.  Check for pealing glass. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)