AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Harvestore silo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 3/19/2013 07:28 (#2975437 - in reply to #2975396)
Subject: Re: New Harvestore silo

northeastern Ohio

roo - 3/19/2013 07:01 So no one has any idea what a rebuild kit actully costs?

Roo,
I am currently running 5 Harvestores and do not recommend to anyone.  It's been about 15 years since I had one built, so I can only guess on current prices.  We had the "traveling bus crew" build a couple Harvestores for us back in the 90's.  They reused the old bolts, fabricated the trough on site, and reused everything they possibly could.  Cost was about $10k for labor and parts.  This did NOT include concrete or rebuilding the unloader.

The other extreme is to hire a "genuine Harvestore" dealer.  They use all new bolts, new air bags, new roof, new fill pipe, new gooseneck, factory made trough, new door frame, new unloader, ect....  The price is extreme.

Here is the honest truth:  Almost all of the white roof Harvestores out there will need a new roof.   Uninstalled cost is about $8000.  The blue roof Harvestores might still be good, as long as they were installed with the roof panel on the inside of the top ring.  If installed on the outside like most of the whites, they might be rusted through too.  Airbags are about $800 each (two required).

You can fabricate your own trough, but you'll need to buy the floor plates that go over the trough.  $100 each (takes 6).

Bolts:  you could do like the bus crew and run the old ones in a cement mixer with gasoline to remove the tar.  I'm guessing new set would be in the $1000-$2000 range (maybe more, I'm not sure).

Sealant:  it takes a lot, but I can't remember how much.  Probably 100 tubes at $10/tube = $1000

Door frames rust out, but can be repaired.

Gooseneck and fill pipe is about $1400

Epoxy floor is about $1200 (aftermarket).

Aftermarket parts to rebuild the unloader are about $6-8000 if you do the labor yourself.

I think it will take about 30 yards of concrete:  $3000.

I'm sure that I am forgetting something.  It does take a crew of 4 guys to put one up and takes about a month.  4 guys x 40 hours per week x 4 weeks x $20/hour = $12k???

Edited by Jay NE Ohio 3/19/2013 07:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)