AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

New Harvestore silo
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

Posted 3/19/2013 11:28 (#2975865 - in reply to #2975284)
Subject: Re: New Harvestore silo

west central Iowa
garvo - 3/19/2013 05:05

not bashing harvestore roo,but lets put it into reality-if I remember right you farm 3000 acres by yourself,now I know you are a guy that gets things done,because I can in no way farm 2,000 acres by myself-if you desire to get things done in minutes a day-put up a 16ft bunker-you already have the unloader-because you are loading your feedwagon,you will spend a lot of money on your cheap harvestore-you need to climb up a silo once a day,to see if you want one,have a stupid unloader break down with the arm stuck,have a blower pipe plug ,The really bad part about a Harvestore is the condesation on the panels,inside-I went to a top unloader on my havestore and I still have that problem,not on the stave silos-and there is no better feed then what comes out of a stave-but having said that-I seen some silage yesterday that was in a 16ft deep pit that was excellant-and a silo gets full-a pit can be over filled-your sealer kit cost about $4000,
I say go for it,you should just put one up,you would soon know the cost-you will spend a miniumum of $20,000 with your rebuild kit and concrete-if you supply free labor-do you have a silo that you have ever filled?blower,wagons,a son that will keep the silo in good workin condtion?

Your idea makes no sense-That being said-You can have my 20x60 for free-I will help you take it down and load it for you-it is in my way where I want to put my 16ft wall silage panels
Rebuild kit cost $20,000-you can order all the same stuff for around $12,000 as I had done all the research when I put in my top unloader

I guess I'm stupid, but I really don't understand the problem with condensation, how do you even know it is there and why is it a problem. I've been around them 45 years and have never heard of this. The few times we have emptied the silo the feed coming out was pretty much good to the last drop.
As for feeding time when I am filling the feeder wagon I park it under the elevator and let it run while I load the other stuff with the loader so it probably speeds things up for me.
Since we started putting the feed in drier we have never had an arm stuck or a broken chain.
I have never been around a stave, but why would the feed out of a stave be any better than a harvestore. I would guess a stave could have a plugged blower pipe too. A while back there was a picture on agtalk of a stave with water running down the outside from putting silage in too wet. If the water is running out the air has to be getting in and that doesn't lead to good silage. And with the top unload you can't keep feeding while you are filling like I do all the time.
I have a 16ft deep pit I put silage in for the first time in years this year, and unfortunately it isn't concrete and I expected the spoilage on the top, but I had forgotten about all the poorer silage on the sides, I suppose it is from the dry dirt sucking moisture out of the silage.
I probably wouldn't put up another harvestore for what they cost now, but I like the 3 I have and I wouldn't even think about switching to top unload.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)