AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

For the truck drivers in the crowd......is the following representative?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

jakescia
Posted 3/9/2013 14:57 (#2953129)
Subject: For the truck drivers in the crowd......is the following representative?

Oskaloosa, Iowa 52577

I was reading the "Preventable or not" column in the "Commercial Carrier's Journal" today........and the following scenario was presented.......

CDL semi is driving on snow covered road going east.............. two lane highway.

Dump truck is heading towards towards him,
starts coming into the CDL semi's lane.

CDL semi veers into the shoulder, where snow is stacked up,

and breaks off his bumper in the drifts.

CDL semi's safety director wrote the accident up as being "avoidable".....ie a preventable accident........and therefore a blackmark against driver.

Took the case to the National Safety Council Accident Review Committee.........

who sided with the CDL............and said that the CDL did what he had to do, and veered to the right to avoid an accident.

It is obvious that the situation was a real one...........but are the safety directors of the companies really that sticky?  What else could the driver have done?

I apparently lead a really sheltered life, 'cause it is hard for me to believe that someone is that anal when dealing with that kind of accident.

Or.........is this just a game that the companies play.......citing the driver for BS, knowing that the Safety Council will clear him, thereby making the company look good, while keeping the driver's safety record clear?? 

What say you?

Edited by jakescia 3/9/2013 15:00
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)