AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What's New In High Yield Soybeans?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

shanesus
Posted 1/5/2013 17:45 (#2801135 - in reply to #2795568)
Subject: RE: What's New In High Yield Soybeans?

Firstly, location is northwest Iowa with maturities from 1.8 to 3.2. I plant 15" rows, no-till, straddling old corn rows.
--I step up maturity each field I plant and that gives spreads my risk out for summer heat/moisture stress during flowering and filling, and it gives me the ability to keep up with the combine as far as harvest moisture goes.
--I apply a ton of chicken litter the fall before and have 150 pounds each of P and K strip tilled underneath.
--I apply a ton of gypsum every four years on the stalks in the fall. VRT lime every four years as necessary.
--Sprayed my 24D and Enlite in the fall to get early control of my weeds.
--Inoculate my beans with Acceleron, Optimize 400, and Quick Roots. Plant 150,000 as early as possible.
--Spray 16 oz Flextar (Fomesafen) and Select Plus at 4 inches tall, along with manganese, iron, zinc, boron
--Fungicide at R2 with Warrior or Leverage if warranted,
--I save 3 bushel of soybeans at harvest with draper (only when they're below 10%/save 1 bushel over 10%) vs auger platform.
--Add 3-5 bushel if you combine at 13% vs. 7%, therefore I pick up the difference with an IntelliAir system during dry harvesting conditions.
--I plan on using cereal rye and tillage radishes in the fall
--I also plan on using Safestrike and Procidic, on my test plots at third trifoliate and R2. These are bacteriacides. I have a lot of disease pressure with cold/wet springs with trash, and hope these products will relieve bacteria caused diseases.
--One interesting note, my dad used to plow 15 years ago and it was pretty common to raise 70 bushel beans. Not feasible now with our no-till system and the heavy equipment. But I think it buried disease, white mold, and mixed in the fertilizer and lime a lot better and they started growing really fast with the warmed soil.
--I plan on testing for calcium deficiencies as well, ... I think it's my limiting factor.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)