AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What's New In High Yield Soybeans?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ed Winkle
Posted 1/3/2013 14:02 (#2796039 - in reply to #2795757)
Subject: Re: What's New In High Yield Soybeans?

Martinsville, Ohio
Matt,

I have studied soybean varieties all my life. I feel like I know enough to be dangerous. I have had excellent results with Ohio Certified Seed, LL soybeans and a few public and private varieties. Finding one best bean for a field with 3-5 soil types is no easy task.

Scouting and certifying seed has really helped but often adds confusion, too. There is a seed farm nearby who farms the old fashioned way and when he yields 50 bu to a variety, I know I can add a bunch to it. Brand, advertizing and sales don't seem to make me the net profit my neighbor can though I like to find the best variety as much as anyone else.

I sent your question to Dr. Mark Loux and his reply was:
"I hate to seem like a crusty old agronomist but if they have not figured out that weeds cost them yield and that PRE herbicides help prevent that by now, I give up. I am so tired of beating that drum." LOL

I feel we need residual on every acre. Not everyone is going to do that but I will. I want a burndown that will hold the weeds till planting, a full residual pre-emerge, and at least one post to clean up escapes. Rye has helped me get a handle on that and has really worked on my Marestail and other problem broadleaf weeds.

I think weed control will again be one of the most discussed topics here and elsewhere this year.

I do risk eliminating pods and beans doing this as there is no gentle approach to harsh weeds but the soil test and tissue test has led me to figure out how to get more calcium in my soil and more nutrients through the roots and the leaves.

I think you summarized the major topics and any one of them could be a 40 minute presentation.

Ed
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)