AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Who's the happiest farmer in your aera?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

ndsu84
Posted 12/17/2012 22:05 (#2758841 - in reply to #2756403)
Subject: Re: Who's the happiest farmer in your aera?

EC North Dakota
This is great! I'm so sick of all the articles about growing your operation. Perfect example, this guy featured as super-farmer the same time he goes broke!

I read Henry David Thoreau's "Walden Pond" or "Life in the Woods" about 20 years ago. He talked about the man who inherited a farm or worse yet the one who inherits a farm with a barn and how they were sentenced to a life of hard labor. His main idea was how difficult it was for us to enjoy where we are and not go with the urge to do more and more until we can't handle it. It aggravated me the first time I read it but I understand so much better now.

I'd like to know just how much some of the mega farmers actually make. We hear regularly about these guys not knowing if they will get operating money next year. They think they are more successful than the farmers here who have no need to borrow money.

My wife and I were both raised to think if you are too happy you must be out of touch with reality! If there's a balance in life then if you're too happy now, you'll be screwed later. It's really tough to get over that. We've been married and farming for 26 years and are finally feeling like it might be safe to really be happy...and admit to it.

Great Thread, I really enjoyed reading the posts of some farmers loving life

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)