AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

McDonald's New Policy
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Buster 50
Posted 12/5/2012 21:03 (#2735265 - in reply to #2735189)
Subject: RE: McDonald's New Policy

North West IA/western AZ
idalivered - 12/5/2012 19:42

I agree with ag judge. I raised hogs until about 18 months ago. I say that gestation stalls are for the benefit of the producer, not the sows. They make life easier for vaccinations , feeding, breeding , etc. but life sucks for the sows. Don't believe me, go to a buying station when these units turn over their sows. No one would treat their dog, horse, milk cow this way. these hogs become junk! these poor animals can hardly walk and lucky if they have 3 good legs between 2 sows. The buying stations end up with a bunch of sows that are "no value".
Their life of inactivity causes all kinds of neuro-muscular problems along with deterorating skeletal problems from no activity. Group housing can be managed for the good of the sows, but it is definitely harder for the producer. Oh yeah, I'm not a liberal or an isu grad.

Did you farrow? Were your sows nice to each other when they were regrouped? Instead of fighting, maybe we should be throwing around ideas to help. My idea is treadmills in the stalls, or we could require each animal to walked for x minutes a day.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)