AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Combine shopping-Case IH questions
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Illinois Steve
Posted 11/23/2012 20:48 (#2713157 - in reply to #2713097)
Subject: RE: Combine shopping-Case IH questions

North Central Illinois
With 1000 hours you shouldn't have too much to worry about for a while other than maybe elevator chains and minor things like that. The main thing would be to check the shaker bushings and see if they are okay and look at the sieves too. If the sieve frames show any cracking that is a sure sign that there is shaker bushing issues. A lot of people are going to tell you that a 2377 will handle a 30' platform just fine in 55 to 60 bushel beans. It depends somewhat on whether you are in rows or drilled. There is no way I would want a 30' platform on a 2377 in good drilled beans. We ran one on a 2388 for several years and it was a grunt at times going 4 mph. If you are in 30" rows you would be running less material thru so you might be okay. A lot of guys are going to tell you that you can't keep a combine that size full with a 6 row head. I've combined many thousands of acres of corn with a 6 row on a 2188 and 2388 with yields generally in the 180 to 250 range. I have never had any trouble with seperation, losing grain out the back, or kernal damage. It works just fine. The limiting factor on the axial flow combines in really good wet corn has always been clean grain elevator capacity. With a 6 row I've never had any trouble. The nice thing is if your operation changes and you want to move up to an 8 row you already have a combine that can easily handle it. I do like the AFX rotor. Some people complain that the AFX and the specialty are too hard to set for corn. They do take a little more effort than a standard when setting for corn but it is worth it especially in beans. Unless I knew I was never going to raise another acre of beans or wheat I would never own another standard rotor. If you are 100% corn you will get along just fine with a standard.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)