AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

siezed tie rod on 1688
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

twraska
Posted 11/15/2012 09:20 (#2698391 - in reply to #2698122)
Subject: RE: siezed tie rod on 1688

Wallis, TX
snsw no till - 11/15/2012 05:39

Putting on a redekop MAV chopper and have had to put back wheels out a hole each side. Tried everything to free up the tie rod. Including lots of heat. Are there any tricks ?? Was thinking of taking it off completely so I could take it somewhere to get some help, but then the ball joints are really tight and I may need one of those special removal tools. Had one of those days.. another quick question, have 2 broken front wheel studs and can not budge them. Was going to try drilling them out in the morning. any better ideas ?? I'm not much of a mechanic yet. Thanks.

On the tie rod ends out of the steering arm, pry down and whack the arm with a big hammer, not the end of the bolt but the side (end) of the arm, it will pop out if you hit it HARD with a big hammer.

Getting the tie rod longer, heat, heat and more heat, red hot at least half way around the entire length it is in. Then try twisting the two halves with pipe wrenches to get them broke. Plan B drop hot tie rod in a pan of used motor oil, be careful it may flash. Plan C air hammer. Plan D slit outer part with a torch and then weld back.

Wheel studs, bigger hammer and big punch.

Edited by twraska 11/15/2012 09:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)