AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Kitchen Reno Advice
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Yoosta B
Posted 11/8/2012 19:04 (#2686305 - in reply to #2685711)
Subject: Re: Kitchen Reno Advice

<p>You didn't say anything about your family or the way you cook, so I'll make a couple of guesses. Since you're been talking about this for 10 years, I assume you don't have small children. Maybe grandchildren? Kids can safely use a microwave at a pretty young age- long before we want them reaching over a cooktop. No one should reach over their head to take something hot out of a microwave. Blower function may be quite adequate, maybe not, depending on how you cook. I assume you will vent it to the exterior, not recirculate. <br /><br /> One duplex receptacle in the island should be enough. Not too difficult to add another should you find the need for it. <br /><br /> Pretty hard to beat a stainless sink for cost/performance IMHO, though Pofarmer had a good alternate suggestion. I think stainless will be lower cost. One recommendation on the stainless: It'll come with a coating sprayed on the underside. Get a can of automotive undercoating and give it a few more coats. It will help to keep the clatter down. Be sure to mask off the rim and drain hole so you get a good seal. <br /><br /> Be careful of clever storage devices. Many of them look great in the brochures or displays, but look carefully. Do you have exactly those things to put in your cabinets? A good example is spice racks. Many people think they want them, because the photos look so nice and tidy. But do you have all your spices in neat little bottles all-in-a-row, or one this size, one that size, some in bags, some in boxes, some in rectangular tins, like most folks? Kitchen design is always a trade-off. You trade some storage volume for convenience. Take your biggest pot with you, and make sure it will fit somewhere handy. <br /><br /> Splurge on the faucet. It's the one thing you use every time you go into the kitchen. Pullout sprays are great, but get the right type: I hope I can post photos to show you what I mean.<br /><br />First photo shows the more common type. I don't like this one because you pull it out and then have to wrestle it around to a working position in your hand. Second photo is a type that pulls straight down- the spray is naturally in a working position.  </p>

Edited by Yoosta B 11/8/2012 19:11

(Faucet.02.jpg)

(Faucet.01.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Faucet.02.jpg (4KB - 106 downloads)
Attachments Faucet.01.jpg (4KB - 102 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)