AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Why didnt I go away from notill sooner?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Ernie
Posted 9/25/2012 09:16 (#2608157 - in reply to #2607595)
Subject: Re: Why didnt I go away from notill sooner?

North End I-15
Different tillage /seeding methods for different soils . One has to experiment with crop rotation , cover crops , to make it work . "One size does not fit all"
Here the rotation and ability to continious crop depend much upon soil moisture profiles . I have noticed the OM rise ever since we quit the mechanical fallow system . Chem fallow is not with out it own unique problems . I looked at and went to a ton of ag plots across Southern Alberta and Northern Montana before making a total change in my operation . We have been direct seeding since 1993 , with mostly positive results . Never had a complete wreck or total crop failure other than weather related . Weed control and the invasion of new grass weeds is a challenge. Cheat grass formerly only a winter wheat problem reared its ugly head early on . Persian darnel was another one . Lots of differnt weed pressures compaired to conventional tillage . I'm not sure chemical control is the answer either . Seems like the weeds once easily controled with have gained immunity to the constant use of Glysophate , and other chemical families . What once seemed like a god send had turned in to a nightmare of resistant plants .
With the new problems comes new managent best practices , A constant learning proccess. Those with a set mind will never make any new ideas work. " Been there , Done that. " :>)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)