AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Android vs iOS, in states and court
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

McCartman
Posted 8/14/2011 08:33 (#1911274 - in reply to #1910812)
Subject: Re: Android vs iOS, in states and court

SNS in WC IL - Still waiting for the explanation of my so called mods to my phone... Please enlighten me. 

I explained it to you above. Reread my post.

SNS in WC IL - You said Android copied Apple by having touch capabilities such as swipes and finger gestures. Wouldn't it be safe to say Apple copied the same from Palm OS? I seem to recall a lot of the same functionality on the Palm PDA I used in 2002... 6 years before the iPhone was released. 

I should have been more clear - MULTI-touch gestures are what Apple holds patents on. Single touch gesturing - yes, that predates the iPhone. But this brings up an interesting point... Why don't you think any of those devices were runaway successes?

SNS in WC IL - Sorry, but I don't consider iOS superior just because it can't do something because it might be too hard for the user to comprehend.

I disagree - and so does the mobile market, obviously. iOS owns 80% of the mobile world. Android phones are being given away in droves just to compete with the iPhone that costs $200 with a 2 yr contract. There is no serious competitor to the iPad. The numbers speak for themselves.

SNS in WC IL - I don't consider a phone superior because I bought a lemon and claim OS is junk when 90% of the issue was the phone you picked. 

I disagree - again. First of all, my Droid was not a "lemon" - I have several friends to owned the device and they all had the same funky crap going on as I did - which means mine was par for the course. Now, consider the fact that the first week or two I owned it, it was pretty stable. When I wiped it and gave it to a buddy (after getting my iPhone), he had no problems the first week or two as well. Only after installing some apps did either of us start having issues. That tells me it was not at all related to the phone itself, but rather to the OS. I also know enough owners of other Android devices that have weird things going on to know that no, it was not just the Droid 1 - it is any Android phone.

SNS in WC IL - The irony of this discussion is that Android might not even exist if Apple wouldn't have gone the exclusive AT&T contract route and offered the phone on all networks from the start. They could have locked down the consumer smartphone market if it was offered on more than one US network, but they left the door open for others to move in. Would you have an iPhone if it was still only available on AT&T?

Now there is something we can agree on. I felt all along that was a critical mistake - and I'd bet that Steve Jobs may even admit that today. To answer your question - No, I would not have an iPhone because I do not have AT&T coverage in my area. What is more ironic is the fact that you just admitted to iOS's superiority. You admitted that Android might not have existed had Apple not tied in with AT&T all those years. If iOS was as hobbled as you like to claim, Android would have been a success regardless if the iPhone was available on one network or all of them right from the start - when the truth is, there were a LOT of people like me that "settled" for an Android device simply because we did not have AT&T network coverage.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)