AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Linux <3
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Computer TalkMessage format

Lenders
Posted 11/4/2009 02:15 (#912906 - in reply to #912463)
Subject: RE: Linux <3

Dodge Co, Wi
I've been running Fedora for 3 full versions now, started with 9 and am now on 11, 12 is due out anytime but from my experience in going from 10-11 right out of the gate I'm going to back off the bleeding edge a bit and stay one version or 6mos behind the edge...
I run with the gnome architecture, as that is what i first tried, never looked at the kde build, but a buddy has and he says he likes it better as it allows him to use ruby right outta the gates... what are the main differences going from gnome to kde? I may try a kde build on a liveusb perhaps...
Right now the only issue I have and it's more of an issue just due to me not having taken the time to fully research it is sending video from my computer to my tv via dvi or hdmi cable. I have an ATI radeon 3200HD onboard gpu with hdmi/dvi/vga out and I know that I can technically use dvi and vga at the same time or hdmi and vga at the same time, not hdmi and dvi at the same time, but for some reason when i feed my monitor vga and then try to feed either dvi or hdmi to my tv the tv does not recognize any signal and the vga stops sending signal to the monitor... nor can i send a dvi/hdmi signal alone to the tv and it recognize it. so for now i just watch my shows on the monitor (22" lcd 1920x1080) but I'm wondering about maybe buying a converter that I can feed vga to it and it will spit out a vga (montior) in addition to a YPbPr (tv instead of hdmi or dvi). For sound to my receiver i use iec958 digital optical.

I really like the complete out of the box 'ness of fedora (and other distros) where it comes straight from install with openoffice, pidgin, firefox, and things like vlc, skype, flash, are just a click away, or even a command line 'chat' away... I do miss the old days of commanding dos to do my bidding. In reality a cmd line interface is all i really need in an OS as i'm not big on having a 'desktop' to clutter with shortcuts and things, just type skype at the $ and boom, skype runs, or get myself to root and yum install vlc and it will dl and install vlc... love it
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)