AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Scalaped potatoes?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Mrs. Haymaker
Posted 9/24/2009 22:29 (#859224 - in reply to #857460)
Subject: Re: Scalaped potatoes?

MI
Hay there ...
This is what I was taught by my dear mother -in-law - who help me learn all the cookin' - cause my poor husband would have died if it wasn't for her patience...LOL

Start with slicin' taters thin and cook 'em in a pot for 10 minutes.( add a touch of salt) If your pot starts to over boil just add butter this calms it down.. and try an skim off that yuckie gray gunk :) let cool.
In saucepan take a WOODEN spoon and put a 1/2 stick of butter , sprinkled with salt and melt, stirring occasionally. (slowly-try and not burn)
take a 1/4 c. flour (all purpose - Martha White is my preferred) in a seal able container and add small amount of water.. shake.
into the saucepan ( Low/med heat) use whisk to stir in. about 2c. milk ( give or take... y'know til it is smooth.)
add cheese... preferably not cheddar this just doesn't melt an mix well. I think - you can decide for self.
I know- how much???.. this depends on your taste buds... enough that it's good but not overwhelming, eh? And my husband doesn't like cheese but will tolerate this if the amount is small.
so.
Drain taties and put into roaster, pour over sauce (and make more if needed) - no need to stir in - you'll break all the slices.
350* for about 30 minutes - no lid...
when they are golden brown and just lookin' good .. take them out and enjoy!
( I hope, lol)
There ya have this Farmer's 2 cents, hope it helps.
Have a great dinner!!
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)