AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Singulation and Spacing
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

Shimmy1
Posted 4/27/2024 13:42 (#10720251 - in reply to #10720221)
Subject: RE: Singulation and Spacing

Central ND
Kooiker - 4/27/2024 13:10

Shimmy1 - 4/27/2024 11:29

Kooiker - 4/27/2024 11:00

Shimmy1 - 4/27/2024 10:20
countryraised - 4/26/2024 11:43 Thanks, I need to try that, I have trouble with a couple flat varieties I really like.
Do you believe that there is a possible correlation between seed shape and yield potential? Genuinely curious, and the guy I'd ask this question to is no longer with us.

Genetic potential, no.  

Yield potential due to germination, possibly.    Round seed is from the ends of the ears which is more likely to be damaged from handling.   Big rounds, found on the butt of the ear typically have the lowest germination scores.  

So, the tested germination score means nothing?

Did you read what I wrote?

The germination of a batch of seed is tested, and posted on the bag. How can germination affect the yield unless you're ignoring what is posted on the bag? Or, are you suggesting that by the time the seed gets in the ground, there has been more damage that will affect germination?

Either way, an increase in planted population will offset yield loss from unintended damage affecting germination. And, if you are going to claim that a fraction of an inch of spacing due to a couple of percent increase in rate is going to offset, I'm calling BS.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)