AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cutterbar replacement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

pat-michigan
Posted 8/4/2009 19:44 (#799769 - in reply to #799733)
Subject: Re: Cutterbar replacement

Thumb of Michigan
We weren't as big of fans as some on the SCH's. We could get lots better wear out of the Deere Dura Cut sections. We used the older Crary hold downs and guards on a few headers. They were much better than stock on 900 series green heads, there was some maintenance, but there's no comparison in wear to the SCH. We feel you get a little better cut as there is more surface area on the Dura Cut vs the SCH. Get one section of each and lay the SCH section on top of the Dura Cut, you'll see the difference.

I think a Deere bar and sections installed with SCH guard would really be neat. We could never figure out how to make it work. SCH bar drilled for Dura Cuts would be the ultimate, but SCH got kind of surly when I suggested that to them. Them Germans don't like to be corrected you know. I am positive on that last comment, I married one.

As far as knife speed goes, that's something real specific to an area, machine, and the crop. Look at your old sections and see how far back from the tip the sections wore. It should be worn fairly evenly around 75% of the way back. If its only worn on the front 1/2 or less, the knife speed is too fast. I have seen the front 1/3 only worn, slowing the bar down helps bunch in that situation. Conversely, if your wear is almost to the back of the section, by all means speed it up.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)