AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

church in transition
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Chris
Posted 5/31/2018 21:51 (#6788821)
Subject: church in transition

East central Iowa

Our denomination is in transition, we are going from a Christian church to a secular club.  Each Sunday we are entreated to do for the community and to bring people to church.  Christmas and Easter get more recognition related to Jesus but time passes and we move to sermons about getting along and tradition is conflated with Bible teaching.  That is what we believe may be traditional rather than Christian.  I think I know the difference.
There is a vote coming that is geared to including more people.  My confused understanding from recent sermons is we need more people to get more people to get more people.  Our church (the entire denomination) has been losing member as it moves further from the Bible and I think there might be a relationship to that event.  
I've noticed that there has been an uptick in evangelical churches.  New churches that didn't exist when I was a kid are now springing up.  It used to be Catholic, Lutheran, Congregational and Methodist.  (we're in the Midwest)  Now I see a few others that don't seem to have what I would think of as a central leadership.  But they do have nice buildings and a pretty good following.
I've always felt that there are people that want to change the church to fit their lives rather than change their lives to follow Jesus.  Maybe I'm way off base.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)