AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Wheat conditions decline.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Market TalkMessage format

Jim1_ks
Posted 1/5/2017 06:45 (#5745487 - in reply to #5745338)
Subject: RE: Sorghum piles not as big.. Pruitt GO HOME!!

South Central Kansas, Harper County
JonSCKs - 1/5/2017 01:05

Far South Central Area must have really been stung on the Sugar Cane Aphids.. really poor yield reports.. 50'ish and below.. ouch.

We had SCA's, the past two years, and they must be doing more damage than we thought? We had some of those 50 bu yields, where we had enough moisture we should have had yields in the 90 bu range. And we thought weve been doing a good job of monitoring the fields and spraying when necessary, but yields prove otherwise. Getting so some people are not planting milo anymore, and its been one crop that has always been a solid one for this area. Ill probably still plant a little, but not planning on much. I planted 1600+ acres of wheat last fall, but only intend to harvest maybe 500-600 acres of it, so I have some for wheat sowing next fall, if I choose. The rest is being grazed.

The wheat we put in early to capture good growth for fall grazing has looked good all fall/winter, although the single digits we had a few weeks ago, sure made it shrink up and turn the tops white. A couple of fields went in after soybean harvest, and kind of look like your pictures you posted of out west.

Planning on planting soybeans and cotton late spring, unless your drought weather amplifies, then who knows what to plant?
Jim
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)