AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

None compete clauses in Ag businesses?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

farm160
Posted 12/19/2016 20:04 (#5710197 - in reply to #5709754)
Subject: RE: None compete clauses in Ag businesses?

NE Nebraska
Non compete clauses have to be reasonable - generally anything over two years is considered unreasonable but it depends on the industry & what they're trying to protect.
People change jobs in agriculture all the time. He's been gone long enough that it appears he'd be free to do as he pleases. Why is it relevant if it's a BTO?

Here's an example of why they should have non-compete for some positions. We recently changed fuel suppliers to a neighboring coop where we'd done business several years ago. In the process I called the office and asked the secretary if she could send me a patronage form so everything was in our LLC's name. A day later the sales rep stopped in and handed me an application and said he'd wait while I filled it out. I was in a bit of a hurry and told him I didn't have time. Then I questioned why it listed the address as being in a neighboring state and he mumbled something about parent company. Finally I told him I'd look at the form later and email it to him password protected. He reluctantly said yes but gave me his personal email address to send it to. He left in a bit of a huff. I had his business card right there and wondered why I wasn't using his business email.

When he left I called the office because it all bothered me: his rush, the out-of-state address and the personal email. The secretary put me on hold for a few minutes and when she came back she said the guy had put in his resignation that morning and apparently he was trying to get me to fill out a credit app for his future boss. They were a bit upset as was I. I don't know if I was more perturbed that he was that dishonest & unethical or perturbed that he thought I was that stupid to not see through it. But last week he had the guts to stop by the office and wanted to talk to one of the guys about buying product from the new place.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)