AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What chores do your kids have to do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

David
Posted 5/2/2016 19:19 (#5278435 - in reply to #5276733)
Subject: RE: What chores do your kids have to do?

I APPRECIATE what you are doing. Keep it up. I grew up on a dairy/beef/row crop farm with 2 brothers and 2 sisters. All we knew was work. And, I am thankful for it.

We have 3 biological daughters and 2 foster daughters. They range from 12 year old to 10 months. My wife is amazing at keeping them on their chores. This past summer I bought 15 4 weight calves and had them bucket feed them morning and evening. This is in addition to their other chores. They have dogs/cats/horses/rabbits/chickens to take care of. They also have to help in the house and have regular scheduled chores.

YOU ARE NOT BEING HARD ON THEM. You are teaching them responsibility. Now, I will say this - teach them the consequences of "fiddling" around. Give them a reasonable time limit and set consequences prior to the initiation of the chore. This helps with time management. Give them the task, the time limit, and turn and walk away. Too many times we get caught up in nagging and that just leads to frustration. We are learning the importance of "walking away".

Keep the good parenting up. They will appreciate it one day. Don't be the dad that wishes he would have taught them better. You only have one chance.

Edited to add: We worked very hard. But, my dad made sure we had a boat to ski with, could play a sport a season, and always had time to rope when we got older. But, this was all done after chores were completed. I didn't want it to sound like we never had fun. That is important too.

Edited by David 5/2/2016 19:21
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)