AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What chores do your kids have to do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Mrs B
Posted 5/2/2016 08:15 (#5277390 - in reply to #5276733)
Subject: RE: What chores do your kids have to do?

Highland Center, in Southeast Iowa

Personally, I think you're 100% on the right track. Yes, getting them to grasp the concept of 'get it done so you can do something you want to do' is a continual struggle. And it will be till the lightbulb comes on in their head.......that's just being a kid. Actions and results don't connect for them the way they do for adults....it simply takes time and maturity for that to finally click, but it will. You're instilling values every day, even when it's not easy. They're learning that they have a value and a responsibility to the family and to themselves. 

You mention kids going to college and not knowing how to do anything.  I had a college friend like that, saw it in action. The girls on the dorm floor taught her to do nearly everything, including putting the sheets on her dorm bed for the first time. She came in one day and wanted to know how to wash a nice sweater. She was told to just use Woolite and lay it out flat to dry. She got the most confused look on her face and finally asked "but....but, shouldn't I use water?" 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)