AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Update on elderly friend in assisted living center
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

billw
Posted 2/17/2015 21:30 (#4394180 - in reply to #4393957)
Subject: RE: Update on elderly friend in assisted living center

E. Kansas
God bless you for having concern for her and trying to help. I can't imagine how she must feel with having to leave her home, with bad falls and resulting health issues, and how her family has treated her.

If her bills aren't being paid, I'd think those owed the money would already be after her niece that is the POA.

Can the social service person at the care home help, or have you talked with them? If the family has been so verbally abusive to her when they visited, maybe the care home could bar them from visiting without being accompanied at all times by an appointed care home employee. The care home should not tolerate that kind of behavior toward any resident. Part of the job of the care home is to protect their residents from harm and abuse, which includes family that act as hers have.

There are laws in some states about financial abuse of an elderly person. Those laws can be used to bring charges against the POA if they are somehow misappropriating the individual's funds. Trying to force a home/property sale with the goal to somehow make off with the money would probably qualify. The social services person at the care home, or the administrator, should know details about this, or who you could talk with.

Don't give up trying to find the agency(s) with jurisdiction over these kinds of issues. It's nothing but exploitation and abuse that your friend has suffered from her family. I'm sure none of the family would like those same things to be done to them if they were in a care home.

Edited by billw 2/17/2015 21:32
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)