AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

male or female dog
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

CentOH Hay
Posted 11/29/2012 16:43 (#2723658 - in reply to #2723638)
Subject: Re: male or female dog

Marysville/Sunbury, Ohio
I've had Australian Shepherds and Labradors either on their own or together my whole life. Generally speaking I prefer a male dog over a female. For pets I find them to be a little more attached, while females seem more aloof to me. I wouldn't use staying near the house on its own accord as a determining factor in this decision. Expecting that to go without incident of any kind, no matter the sex, is a good way to end up with a dog shot or on the road. Spend the time to truly train your dog in all facets, including geographic boundaries. If not, better just put in a fence, invisible or regular.

As far as breeds. Labs, and by extension Goldens, noticeably slow down to a human pace after a couple years (I love the saw about them being made with brains on back order for 24 months), a well bred one is a great companion for a family and tolerates most anything. Aussies are scary intelligent out of the gate, as young dogs that can be a challenge. They stay energetic long into life, and if well kept tend to be longer lived overall. My current one does not leave my side around the house. If I go someplace he can't, 'the sheep got out' in his mind. Aussies will not lead a burglar to your wife's jewelry like a lab or golden will, nor will they tolerate as much ignorance on the part of a child.

My 2 cents.

Alex

Edited by CentOH Hay 11/29/2012 16:47
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)