AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Our community water system EPA violation: low pressure
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Jay NE Ohio
Posted 1/21/2017 19:00 (#5784316)
Subject: Our community water system EPA violation: low pressure

northeastern Ohio
There is a small community (100 houses) that is fed off of one well. The well is located in the center of the community at the lowest elevation at the village's intersection. The water is piped in each direction (north east west south) about 1000' each way and the outlying houses are about 100' higher than the well location.

I own a house in this community (rental). I do not know much about the water system other than what I've mentioned above. The trustees have called a meeting to discuss what to do about a letter they received from the Ohio EPA. Ohio's safe drinking water law and rules state:

"requires each community water system to maintain a minimum pressure of 20 psi at ground level at ALL points in the distribution system under all conditions of flow other than conditions caused by line breaks, extreme fire flows, or other extraordinary circumstances."

It goes on to state that some houses in this community have booster pumps, but they don't have a "low pressure cut-off device".

To begin resolution of the violations, the OEPA wants an inventory of total number of pumps, type of pump and whether they have the low pressure cut off device. They also want these pumps inspected every year and "certified" as operable in proper working order.

The board of trustees has asked all home owners to attend a meeting next week to discuss a plan. They have mentioned that in order to come into compliance, it may cost each homeowner up to $20,000 each. The average house value in this old community is roughly $60k.

About 10 years ago this community was forced by the EPA to put in a sewer system which cost each homeowner a one time $6000 fee, a $1000 connection charge, plus a $50 a month maintenance fee forever.

But back to the water problem.... has anyone been through a similar situation and found a REASONABLE solution?

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)