AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Drainage question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

NEILFarmer
Posted 12/3/2016 20:50 (#5674053)
Subject: Drainage question

Morris, IL
We have a farm that has a medium sized low spot in it. It has creek running across it 2000' away but would require about 10' tile depth in middle of farm to drain that direction, that project hasn't made it to top of list yet. It currently has 4" clay tile under it running few miles other direction under 3-4 different land owners. We are on the very top of this run, 5' away (property line) it sizes up to 5-6" and keeps going up, i'm unsure if it's the 10-12" outlet or the 16"+ tile when it gets to creek. This tile runs right under this low spot about 4' down and in very good shape for nearing 100 years old.

Problem is we still get up to 1 acre of water sitting and it sits for week or so at times, maybe 1' deep in worse area. I know i'm not dealing with ideal situation here, but wondering if adding more shallow strings of tile would do some good? Maybe cross it with few small coils of 4" tile, maybe 1.5-2' deep, and maybe 15' apart or something like that? Could always add a surface inlet but i'd rather not, seems like going that route it's just matter of time before it's gets something it in and causes problem in the tile. Don't like seeing surface inlets if don't have to just from environmental aspect if not needed, and rather not farm around it either. Would this be waist of time? At some point in the somewhat near future would like to run 8" or so tile from our creek to drain this and pattern this area that drains into it but that isn't going to happen tomorrow or for the 17' crop.

This is in the headlands, the entire field can be bone dry and still have water sitting after a heavy rain. But after lighter rain it will be perfectly dry waiting on other areas to dry. But when this is wet it will last a week or more, we end up going around it, 9/10 times it floods out anyway. Any advise, thanks.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)