AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Metal building house vs. stick built
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

Matthew2158
Posted 6/8/2016 08:50 (#5343724)
Subject: Metal building house vs. stick built

North Carolina

Hey folks, my wife and I are hoping to build our own home in the next year or so. I've been doing tons of research on house designs, floorplans, energy efficiency, etc. Since we're trying to buy some acreage also, our budget for the house is somewhat limited. I've gone from log cabin, to modular, to mobile home, to stick built, and now considering a Morton-style building for a home. Not talking about a all-in-one farm shop/house (wife wouldn't go for that), but some of the homes on their website do look pretty good and they and other steel home sites (ie. General Steel, LTH, Andar Steel, etc) claim some savings of building with steel vs. wood. I guess the thought is maybe the lower price of steel these days, or building a big "box" on concrete pad is a lot cheaper than traditional construction?

Do you know of anyone living in such a house and did they save any significant money? Do they like the look, feel, and functionality of a steel home? Will banks lend on these types of homes?  Will they lend if we do some of the interior finishing ourselves?  BTW, we'll be building in North Carolina approx. 1700-2000 sf home. Want a basement or crawlspace, not sure how that would work with a steel frame. Example from Morton https://www.mortonbuildings.com/projects/home-cabin  Thanks for any feedback or ideas.

Thanks,
Matthew

(Morton 4285-1-960x520.jpg)

(Morton Red 4210-5-960x520.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Morton 4285-1-960x520.jpg (88KB - 339 downloads)
Attachments Morton Red 4210-5-960x520.jpg (98KB - 369 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)