AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

What chores do your kids have to do?
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Kitchen TableMessage format

milofarmer1
Posted 5/1/2016 20:52 (#5276733)
Subject: What chores do your kids have to do?

Texas/New Mexico Stateline
I'm just wondering if what we have our kids do is reasonable? We have 10 year old girl, 8 year old boy, and 4 year old boy.

The two older ones with the little one tagging along "helping" they have to feed and water chickens, cats and dog every evening. Pick up their rooms before supper. Not spic and span, but dirty clothes and toys need to be off the floor.

About once a week they have to do some cleaning on "their" bathroom, do a couple loads of their own laundry. Put in the washer/dryer, fold and put it away. Usually sometime during the week they are responsible for sweeping the kitchen. Vacuum their rooms usually once a week. Sometimes I do the vacuuming in their rooms to make sure it is done good.

Have to set the table at supper most evenings, empty the dishwasher/put dishes away a couple times a week.

Growing up I never did that many chores. I don't think I was spoiled in that regard, because as I got older teens and late teens I certainly pitched in helping with housework without being told. So somehow my parents impressed upon me the importance of it. But sometimes it seems like all our time in the evenings is taken up dealing with housekeeping, and continually nagging about getting chores done. If we are going to have a schedule like this, it would help immensely if they would not fiddle around and get the jobs done quicker. Which is a continual problem. They can't seem to grasp the concept that every minute they drag around doing a chore is one minute less to play and have fun!

I just don't want our kids to be the type that get to college and don't know how to do laundry (which I have heard of on more than one occasion) Also we have dealt with kids at church camp that are 12 years old and have never run a broom or washed dishes.

Anyway, always curious about other families experiences.

Was proud of the girl this morning. Her and wife had talked last night about her making pancakes in the morning, and she got up early on her own and started making them before we got up! (she is a major morning person) Which was perfectly fine, as she can already handle basic cooking like that.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)