AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Best way to check a cartridge style oil filter for contaminants
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

dpilot83
Posted 5/8/2021 10:48 (#8993800)
Subject: Best way to check a cartridge style oil filter for contaminants

Got a low oil pressure warning on a Steiger 400 with a 12.9L Iveco last night. 12 hours after the engine oil and engine oil filter were changed.

https://talk.newagtalk.com/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=996978&posts=23&start=1 

Had lots of codes that were electrical in nature so we wondered if it was an electrical issue rather than an actual oil pressure issue. Still, pulled the oil filter. Didn’t look bad to me but I don’t know the proper way to examine the cartridge style. I was under the impression the oil came in from the outside of the filter to the inside on the cartridge style (and maybe all filters). If that is the case I would think cutting it apart would not be necessary with that style because you can see the outside of the filter as soon as you lift the cartridge out of the housing.

Long story short, after I replaced the filter. I had oil pressure. I don’t know if this means the oil filter with only 12 hours on it was somehow restricted or if it was an electrical issue that just resolved itself.

Like I said, the filter didn’t look bad to me. I could not see anything shiny. Just an oil soaked cartridge filter. I will say the oil did not look as clear as I expected but the service guy at my dealer thought it looked fine for what is probably the dirtiest part of the engine.

So is there any precise, scientific way to analyze a filter other than just look for shiny stuff? 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)