AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

No-tillers, what row crop planter do you prefer and why
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

berggrenfarms
Posted 5/7/2021 11:09 (#8992039 - in reply to #8991923)
Subject: RE: No-tillers, what row crop planter do you prefer and why

Nebraska, The land of corn and cattle

Just about any of them will no till just fine. Some say the Case IH is better with the leading disk, and in theory it is probably good, but thats about the only thing I like on a Case planter.

White JD and Kinze all run the same style of openers so if anyone says one is better than another, I call BS. 

More important is how the planter is maintained and setup. HD downpressure springs, air bags or hydraulic downforce is a must. Hydraulic is the king of the heap but you gotta pay to play. We run HD springs as our ground is pretty similar so it doesnt change often, if you have sand at one end of the field and heavy clay at the other then the active systems would be the way to go. Id love hydraulic, but dont farm enough to justify it, until something better comes along and I can buy it used for pennies on the dollar. 

Another must is a good set of row cleaners, floating if you can swing it and setup for Cleansweep if possible, this is our first year running a CS system but I think Im really going to like it vs just floating before. 

An infurrow/2x2/0x2/whatever you like fertilizer system is a must for me, well worth the little bit of time it takes to fill. We run an in furrow and a 0x2 dribble system on ours. I can always tell where I forget to turn it on, might now make much bushel difference, but it looks better and is figured in to our fertilizer program.

We run a 6700 3pt mounted White, 2 of them actually. Both are setup the same, HD springs, Sunco cleaners, one is floating the other is pinned. I like the simplicity of the White meter, and as long as I get medium round seed I can plant 99% or better all day long. Had a 6700 since the mid 90s. 6000 whites are pretty cheap, do a good job of notill, and are very rebuildable and upgradeable for little $, I put a set of cable drives and clutches off a newer White on it for very little money, you can also add the airbags off a newer one too. They really didnt change much from the 6000s to the 9000s. 

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)