AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Auto steer around field perimeter
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

tedbear
Posted 4/22/2021 07:33 (#8966520 - in reply to #8966043)
Subject: RE: Auto steer around field perimeter

Near Intersection of I-35 & I-90 Southern Mn.
Here's what we did. We created an AB line (some curved but straight where possible) of the edge of the field or property line. We saved each "side" separately with a descriptive name. Most of our fields are rectangular so that meant four separate AB lines for each field. In some cases we could center the tractor (without implement) on the edge or property line, set A and drive to the other end and set B. In other situations this was not possible due to obstacles or a road ditch. We found that the distance from the outer left front tire to the center of the tractor was 5'. This means that in those situations where we could not center on the edge, we would drive with the left front outer dual on the edge but purposely offset the GPS temporarily to the right. After finishing this we had to be certain to change the GPS offset back to zero. Then the "edge" line would be on the desired edge or property line.

When we pull in with the planter (starting today hopefully) the operator will select the AB line for that edge. The Ag Leader system will note that this was done with a different width and suggest a "shift" amount. We will disregard that suggestion and type in a shift of half the planter width. This will "move" the AB line that was the edge to where we want the tractor to drive. We can purposely save that "moved" line if we wish. We intend to keep the "original" edge lines from year to year. That way they are a somewhat permanent reference. These "edge" lines can be exported to the my other Ag Leader systems although planting is the most used.

In a couple of situations, our land borders a neighbor who also has Ag Leader equipment. I have exported my "edge" AB line to a USB stick and the neighbor has loaded it into their Ag Leader system. I shift that line half my implement width my way and he shifts the line half his implement width his way. We have a 24-30 planter so I shift 30' my way. He has a 12-30 planter so he shifts 15' his way.

You may have created boundaries for the field. I believe it should be possible to use SMS to create first pass AB lines from it although I have never tried that approach.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)