AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Canadian car in the USA
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

Takn4aFool
Posted 4/21/2021 16:11 (#8965536 - in reply to #8965390)
Subject: RE: Canadian car in the USA

heres a couple replies i found on a website

Canada doesn’t have titles, it’s all based off of vehicle registration (there’s generally two portions - a vehicle portion that the owner possesses, and a plate portion that the vehicle operator possesses, which are generally the same except where the vehicle is leased).

To formally import the vehicle, you need to fill out a lot of Customs documents, but you also need a letter from the manufacturer stating the vehicle meets US standards (the main issue here is that TPMS is required in the US but not in Canada - if the vehicle doesn’t have built in TPMS then it can’t be imported). You’ll need the ownership portion and the bill of sale. You’ll want to get a customs form 7501 after importing to properly register the vehicle at the DMV.

Source: imported a personal vehicle when I moved from Canada to the US.

1 year ago
It is going to be tough, if not impossible. You can certainly sell it, but being able to transfer title to a new buyer is something else. State law governs title transfer, but in general, you have to prove it cleared customs.

Then there's the part where you don't really have a clear title to begin with.

How do I register my foreign registered vehicle, car or motorcycle in the U.S. with the Department of Motor Vehicles?

If you bought or were given an imported vehicle from someone in the U.S., and they did not clear it through U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) before selling or giving it to you, there could be a problem. It is illegal to sell an imported vehicle that has not been formally entered, and it is subject to seizure. When filing an entry with CBP for your vehicle, you must be able to demonstrate to CBP that you own the vehicle and it conforms to U.S. emissions and safety standards. You have to submit proof of ownership such as a certificate of title, bill of sale, or manufacturer statement of origin to a CBP Officer at the port.

You may have to hope a dismantler will buy it, no questions asked.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)