AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Another crazy housing price post
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

redoak
Posted 3/6/2021 11:56 (#8876210 - in reply to #8876035)
Subject: RE: Another crazy housing price post

sw ontario
billybob - 3/6/2021 11:10

What caused the crash of the cash flow needed to support all that? 

Grain embargo. 

I think corn dropped from 2.75 or 2.60 down to a low of 1.80, maybe lower.  It stayed that way for 4 or 5 years from 1980 to 1985.   

Also there was inflation.  Not just 2.5 to 3 % inflation we have today, but inflation of 6 to 10%.  

The Great Grain Robbery started it all of in the late summer or fall of 1972.  Dec. corn went from about 1.50 to about 2.40.  

I remember the farm just to the south of Dad's property came up for sale.  $87,000 for 160 acres.  Some pasture, mostly irrigated land.  I showed Dad on paper that he could buy the land with 20% down and rent it out and it would be paid for in 20 years.  He did not have to work the land, nor buy a pivot, ect.  Just rent it out at average rental price.  This was before corn went up.  Was for sale in the spring of 1972.  Nope.   

billybob , don't know your age but corn was tough at $1 bu and 80 or so bu yields , ...Great Russian grian roobery changed everything corn+4 , beans $ 13 massive inflation came, oil shortage , gas pump line ups ,interest went from around 8% to as high as 23 %.....land went from say $500 -$3,500

+ Jimmy Carter grain embargoe, mortgage renewals at sometimes
,x higher payments, slow down in econonmy , IH ,A-C ,MF ect bankrupt along with 2/3 of dealers ...........
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)