AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Dodge transmission replacement
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

HuskerJ
Posted 3/3/2021 06:15 (#8869559 - in reply to #8869154)
Subject: RE: Dodge transmission replacement

East of Broken Bow
I had the tranny in my Dodge Cummins rebuilt by a shop. Took about a week, but I think it was the way to go.
I took it in, when it started feeling 'off', and the mechanic said that it didn't have a lot of life left, and was glad I brought it in when I did, as it only had wear, no failures, and clutches weren't fried yet, so wasn't full of contamination.
He walked me through the rebuild, giving me the options of rebuilding with factory parts, factory HD parts, or aftermarket parts, as available.
Long story short, for about $300-$400 more, instead of just replacing the worn out parts, he upgraded all the known weak areas, with upgraded parts. Said it was now rated for about 50% more torque, than when it was new, and should have much greater longevity.
Two things I noticed. It seems to shift harshly when just tooling around, but put a trailer behind it, and pull it hard, and it actually shifts smoother than it ever did.
Secondly, if pulling a BIG load, I always felt that the engine was going to cook the transmission. I mean the engine would stay revved way out, and the truck would just keep slowing down, which had to produce a LOT of heat. Now, everything feels much 'tighter', which at least gives me the impression that I'm not cooking anything.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)