AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Old oak straight back chair question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

boog
Posted 4/29/2009 09:35 (#696786 - in reply to #696633)
Subject: Re: Old oak straight back chair question

"Only problem is 25 years ago wife and I redid two other chairs just like this and I know we devalued them greatly by making them look like we wanted."

Jon, my wife's brother & SIL have an antique shop & they have told us several times that antiques are worth more "as is" than refurnished", usually after we have a piece refurnished. After reading your quote I copied above I'll ask you what I ask her. "What's more important. the value or if it looks the way we want?"

Unless you're going to resell thechair to me it's more important that it looks the way we want and in your case the chair would be more valuable to me matching the other two. JMO.

A few years ago we had our dining room set refurnished. This is a matching set of buffett, china cabinet, table & chairs. They were purchased back in the '20s by my aunt & uncle whom raised me when they were married. Wood is walnut but they were almost black from age. When we got them back it was like they weren't the same pieces. The walnut was actually light & the buffett & china cabinet had inlaids of dark "bird's eye" walnut. Nobidy had any idea that was how they looked or even if they looked that way new. SIL gave my wife heck when she found out we were having them refurnished. First time she saw them when we got them back she just raved about how they looked & everytime she visists she is always making a comment about how she would love to have something that looked like they do.

I just remind her what they would have looked like if we had left them "as is" like she wanted. Sorta like someone finding a Rembrant under an old painting. Which has happened.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)