AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

91 FreightLiner with a 90 Cummins 365 motor few problems
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Machinery TalkMessage format

IADAVE
Posted 3/1/2021 16:05 (#8866257 - in reply to #8866025)
Subject: RE: 91 FreightLiner with a 90 Cummins 365 motor few problems

There are probably 2 relays going to the starter. There is probably one on the firewall also. I would "bypass" the one you have found and see if it cranks. You may have to power that one up and get your tester out. I assume it cranks if you short the starter solenoid.
The power steering sector is not hard to change but could be a grand or so. Last one I bought a long time ago was $750.
It looks like the seal on top is leaking. Not hard to change in theory. Take steering shaft off. Take a socket and drive the snap ring down. Then remove snap ring. You can pick the seal out or plut the return on the steering sector, fire the truck up and try to turn the wheel one way or the other. It should push the seal out. My experience has been that shaft is pitted so you may have to smooth it out. I have filled them in with JB weld if it has a groove.
I bought a seal kit for mine a while back for around $65. My experience is it may or may not last.
The 3rd option is what I am currently doing. Wash the oil off. Mine looks like it is leaking worse than yours. I have added probably less than a quart in the last 4 years ( 200,000 miles). I did put some power steering stop leak in it. Now it only leaks once in a while. I assume when a bad spot in the shaft lines up with a bad spot in the seal.
The oil leak isn't that bad, I would run the truck and see if you can figure out if it is coming from that fitting.
Both that leak and the steering leak may go away with use. ( I am assuming you are not in a situation where the Dot checks your trucks all the time.) Even if you are washing the oil off once in a while seems to keep them happy.
On the battery shut off. On the shut offs I have some things are left hooked up. ECM on the engine, memory on the radio, cab control module etc.
This may not be the case on yours but I bet it is. Of course your switch may be bad also.
Remember most of those shut off the ground, not the hot.

Edited by IADAVE 3/1/2021 16:08
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)