AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Estate Question
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

John Burns
Posted 2/27/2021 19:27 (#8862341 - in reply to #8862117)
Subject: knowing what to ask

Pittsburg, Kansas
illfarmr - 2/27/2021 16:51

There have been a great many posts on here asking about tax planning, withdrawal penalties, estate planning and more. Really? At least no one has asked medical/ surgical advise here. LOL

When I started farming In the early seventies, I thought I could do my own book keeping and tax filing. By the end of my fifth year, I found a good accountant. We are still friends. He’s a good guy and has a heck of a business. But, he wasn’t an ag accountant. I found a good one of them. I doubt there are more than ten of them in the state of Illinois.

I also feel the same way (maybe even more strongly) about ag attorneys. They may be even more rare.

There can be a lot of benefit asking people who have been through it. It allows a person to contemplate things before talking to the professionals so they can better ask the right questions. Sometimes we don't know what we don't know and don't even know the right questions to ask.

Another thing about lawyers. My sister worked as a legal assistant to one. She questioned him a few times about doing something that would be better for the client or quicker or cheaper. He told her they did not ask about that. Not all professionals are very professional. Knowing something before you go in can be valuable to evaluate the professional. What better way than to ask others that have been through it.

Edited by John Burns 2/27/2021 19:29
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)