AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Questions on soil sampling software and data for grid samples
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

dko_scOH
Posted 2/28/2021 09:13 (#8863175 - in reply to #8862301)
Subject: RE: Questions on soil sampling software and data for grid samples

39.48, -82.98

BacNBlak - 2/27/2021 20:12 Agstudio has been around a long time - one of the first in the business. We have used it on our farm for just what you’re describing for 10-15 years. Our problems were with the fact our local coop used agstudio but on their own server and the data wouldn’t easily cross on to ‘our’ server. That coop got bought out recently and the new one doesn’t really do a lot with precision ag. So we went and spoke with the soil lab (AgroLab, Harrington, DE) about it and his lab uses Agstudio as well. He essentially said (and I need to get clarification on how this works) that for a fee, we can access our info on his server. He can write Rx maps and so on based on university recs. I personally have always found agstudio harder to use than what I feel it should be. Some programs are intuitive, I feel this needs to be learned. But it’s very powerful software built by folks that really were and still are at the forefront of it. It’s made to do exactly what you’re looking to do.

[RANT]These are the kinds of things that make me appreciate having complete control of my own data, keeping it local, keeping my options open. Always keep backup copies on multiple media/locations -- and keep it in a non-proprietary format, preferably as columnar data in some form of text file (CSV, TXT, etc.).

You should NOT have to pay to access your own data. You should expect to pay for useful processing of your data; that's only fair. You can pay someone else to do it or you can pay for the software and do it yourself. Or, you can download free and open source software and "pay" by your efforts to make it work to do what you want. But never let yourself get into a position where your data are in a proprietary format on some distant computer and they have you over a barrel on access.

Sorry for the off-topic tangent.[/RANT]

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)