AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Cattle at sea for 2 months
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Stock TalkMessage format

12thMan
Posted 2/26/2021 13:36 (#8859825 - in reply to #8858921)
Subject: RE: Cattle at sea for 2 months

Western Ontario
We had a good friend that was the ship vet for a boat load of angus heifers from Saskatchewan and holstien heifers from Ontario and Quebec that went to Russia, unbelievable story, she really could have wrote a book about it. Cattle were bedded with shavings but every 4 or 5 days they did a big pen shuffle and washed them down with fire hoses. Holding tank in the bottom of the ship that basically got the plug pulled and into the ocean, same with deads, shark bait!! Once they got closer to the Mediterranean they apparently would get tracked and wouldn’t dump the holding tanks. I think 2500 head altogether which is apparently a small ship. Loaded in Quebec city and unloaded in some Russian port in the black sea. I’d have to check but think about 2006 timeframe. Funny thing is she got to be drinking buddies with the captain and he told her they were charging a $100k for the load which seemed pretty cheap to me at about $400/head. We had some exported to Kazakstan but they were flown, that was 2012. I believe that was about $1200/head, they went out of Winnipeg.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)