AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Canola
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

kirschenman
Posted 2/22/2021 20:40 (#8851927 - in reply to #8848981)
Subject: RE: Canola

Southeastern Alberta
I live in SE Alberta and have planted with a 30inch planter without going back in. We have had poor years lately but the planter on 30s kind of is the same as the nearby neighbors with their drills. And I am dropping 1.5 lbs of seed (150 000 per acre) so I am at $25/ac vs $60+. So that is where you can make some money, by not ever letting it leave the bank.

This year I found a Great Plains twin row machine that I will be using now. So it is 8 inches between the twins and 22 inches between the next row. So averages 15 inch.

Every year I eventually had canopy on my 30s but it took until bolting to get to it some years. I have stripped stubble that lays down so not a huge amount of bare dirt around.

RRV's system is really good. Have been very impressed with them. Make sure you get the wear strip as it means you don't need to adjust your plate clearance switching between canola and other crops to get a good seal.

Talking to some canola seed production growers, they say you don't want your canola plants closer than 1.5 inches in row, and more like 2 inches or better. Otherwise they get spindly. So on 30 inch I am looking for something like 110 000 plants per acre. You can double it to 15s. But I will probably be shooting for about 200 000k on my twin rows.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)