AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Autosteer for Dummies
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Precision TalkMessage format

c_mayer
Posted 2/17/2021 07:09 (#8838528 - in reply to #8838081)
Subject: RE: Autosteer for Dummies

Jeffersonville, OH
1sprayer - 2/16/2021 22:27

I've been contemplating autosteer for a couple of years now but when I priced a system at my local dealer the $30,000 price tag scared me away.  I've been reading up on it again and I'm thinking that I could manage fine with the next step up from WAAS instead of needing RTK to plant corn.

Here is where I get confused - my only experience with gps is a Centreline light bar where I have the display unit and a small square antenae (2x2 inch)

To move to a correction type of system I see people talking about  the receiver, display and nav systems?  Where can I learn more about what I need besides a dealer who keeps trying to sell me something I don't want or need?  I've read lots of posts on here where others talk of getting set up with with a 6 inch accuracy type system for $7-8000 what do I need to search for as far as parts go to get started?

I guess I should have learned all of these things 10+ years ago when everyone else was still learning instead of now where I'm totally clueless.

John Deere 7210 if that makes a  difference.

Is your tractor steer ready? I assume not since it's a 7210, would be very odd if it was.

If not, and you want the "integrated" style steering, you have to add a valve. $3-4,000 to buy new. Then you need a steering System, like Ag Leader Steer Command, which is about $5500. Next comes a Display and Receiver, unlocked for a better correction. $4-5500 for a display to plant and steer, and another $4000 for a 4" accuracy (approximately) receiver. That's $19K to buy new.

You can do a "steering wheel turner" for less, roughly $13-15,000 depending on options on the display.

Used... Ag Leader OnTrac2+ $1500-2500, Ag Leader Integra $3000, Ag Leader Receiver unlocked to TerraStar or an older Omnistar, $2000-2500. That gets you in the range of $6500-8000.

Also, depending on how advanced you want to integrate the planter to it, you can spend more. I used Ag Leader because it's easy to use, fairly plentiful, and has a LOT of dealer support across the country. You can usually find all of those items used here in the classifieds. Also, the subscription for the GPS correction to get you to approximately 4" accuracy is around $1200 a year, doesn't take long to pay for the RTK unlock if you have a free or cheap RTK service in your area.
Chris
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)