AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Fieldview imagery
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

GOOSEPILOT
Posted 2/15/2021 12:56 (#8834305 - in reply to #8834165)
Subject: RE: Fieldview imagery

WC Mn/Dakotas
mnfarmboy - 2/15/2021 12:03

I've used FV imagery to write some planting scripts. Just did one last night. Overall, for me, 90% of the images are worthless; uneven, not focused enough, not enough variance to show, etc. But from the useful 10% on my soybean fields, I have seen IDC spots and white mold areas. Takes some time to glean and compare to know if you're looking at a sandy hill or a WM decimated spot, but doable. Still looking for more useful info from them.

Do GK's imagery maps go back and pick up the past, say, 10 years?

Using FV "imagery" and "tools" vs the unlimited things you can do in GK is like comparing an avg pre school kid to and top of the class MIT grad student. Totally different worlds for creating anything of any "precision". If that's where you started, so be it, but if you don't learn what fv is and how and where to limit its use and move on to something better, I wouldn't consider myself a "precision ag" user.

In GK you can download basically everything that you see in GK and about 1000x more. And then you can actually use those layer like they should be/can be used. Typically you can get sat images back to early 80s and FSA color images back to early 2000s. And lidar for areas that have that available. That's a great place to start.

Using any of those data layers though is up to you. Literally 1000s if not millions of different ways you can display them each. So what you "see" of a 7-13-2021 sentinel 2 image on fieldview, isn't what you automatically see if you used GK to view that same image. Fv gives you 2 or 3 representations of that image vs 1000s in gk. Fv only let's you use 1 data layer (or maybe a few) to create an answer. GK I usually use 30-50 layers to create an answer. Then when you export your answer to a controller again in fv you are severely limited vs almost unlimited. It's kind of like taking a picture or video in 4k and then uploading it to a vcr and watching it back on a black and white console from the 60s. Fv is like b&w vcr and GK is like 4k and imax.
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)