AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

NH3 on 36" centers 30" corn
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> Crop TalkMessage format

Douglass ks
Posted 2/1/2021 21:30 (#8800493)
Subject: NH3 on 36" centers 30" corn

Douglass Kansas

Thinking about setting up an NH3 toolbar on a 90s model 27' Krause chisel frame. I plan on using a low disturbance unit either the Yetter Magnum or the Wako NTO. Chisel shanks are on 12" spacing ( these will be taken off). The chisel weighs about 6300 lb with shanks on. I have heard that the low disturbance NH3 units take lots of weight to get them into the ground, so I am thinking that the wider spacing will get me more weight per unit to get them into the ground. I am unsure if adding weight to the toolbar is an option since the toolbar was not designed for that. I haven't weighed a shank from this chisel but I would guess that 27 shanks weigh about what 9 Wako units weigh (300 lbs each).

I will be running this in soybean stubble and apply around 120 lb of N. I plan to apply the N at an angle to what the corn will be planted at. I have no way of applying fertilizer on the planter, and will not be applying any dry fertilizer. This is on river-bottom ground that will get flooded this year. Soil test P is 40 to 70 ppm and K is 270 to 340 ppm.

Am I going to have fields of corn that have streaks in them that will affect yield? Would applying 5 gallon of 28% with sprayer right after planting fix this problem?

I have seen times when the NH3 was plugged on the striptiller and corn in these rows was yellow for a while before turning dark green, like the rest of the field.

Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)