AgTalk Home
AgTalk Home
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Lotta respect for you northerners.
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Forums List -> AgTalk CafeMessage format

caleb2684
Posted 1/11/2021 23:42 (#8744044)
Subject: Lotta respect for you northerners.

Aggieland
Our EPIC blizzard here in Central Texas has caused quite the pain in the neck for me and my family. We’ve been without power since 2PM Sunday. Big deal, right? To be honest as I was fairly prepared. We had extra rations on hand in addition to our normal supplies, I rounded up extension cords, space heaters, made sure we had charcoal, test ran my two generators (both Honda’s a 6500watt and a 2000watt suitcase), I made sure the gas cans were full etc.

However, I in no way prepared to deal with a pregame to wife and three kids that had zero to do in this crud. Playing in the snow lost its fun after about two hours, reading books lost its fun after about three hours, drawing and coloring lost its fun after about four hours, fighting amongst themselves over the dumbest stuff has not lost its fun. We’re pretty blessed in the sense that I’ve got the furnace powered, one lamp, two refrigerators and the coffee maker. I was able to loan a friend down the street the little Honda and he’s been able to run his furnace and fridge off of it. I truly understand what cabin fever is and we haven’t even been couped up but a day and a half!

Our utility server has done a piss poor job at A) communicating B) working methodically. I’ve been able to somewhat track their service online via the outage map and we’ve literally watched places that just lost power today get restored while our area 200-300 meters not get service. Around 5:30am today they got us power for about 30 minutes and then it was gone. Then tonight around 6pm the one light we left on in our house started to glow and then went off. To me that means they haven’t done a good job surveying the lines and are throwing fuses back in prematurely. A lineman from this coop was killed just two months ago. I hope something changes from his death and this winter storm. Every other place I’ve ever lived would not restore power until every single line and transformer had been verified. Just to be clear I’m thankful we have their service, I’m not really mad because I was prepared, praying things change moving forward.

I did tell the wife tonight that a whole home generator is in our future. She didn’t think it was funny but then I reminded her she wasn’t real thrilled when I bought the one that’s been running for 34hours straight either.

Count your blessings, love your neighbor and be good to your families. We’ve got a lot to be thankful for in this country.

Caleb
Top of the page Bottom of the page

Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete cookies)